| Jan 20, 2016
Whether you’re planning to entertain for a big game, having an impromptu get together or just looking to mix up dinner for the family, we’ve come up with a few new ways to incorporate our Healthy Loafstyle breads at your next get together!
Sunflower Flax Sourdough Parmesan and Garlic Pull Apart Bread
We’ve converted our Sunflower Flax Sourdough Vienna Loaf
into an Italian favourite. The Sunflower and Flax seeds add an extra crunch to each bite!
1 COBS Bread Sunflower Flax Sourdough Vienna Loaf
1/2 Cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 Cup unsalted butter, melted
2 garlic cloves, minced
A pinch of salt
1 heaped Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix melted butter with garlic and parsley and set aside.
- Using a bread knife, cut the loaf diagonally at 2cm intervals. Cut about half way through the loaf, but not all the way. Turn the bread around and repeat, so the top of the bread looks like it’s covered in diamond shapes.
- Using your fingers, spread the butter into each crack of the bread as best you can, and stuff with the grated parmesan. Wrap with foil and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is mostly melted. Unwrap and bake for a further 5 minutes to make the outside crusty. Serve immediately.
As an added benefit, just two slices of our Sunflower Flax Sourdough bread equals 15% of your daily iron intake! Looking for a healthier option for the Pull Apart? Try mixing in your own ingredients such as grilled vegetables or lean meats!
Eggplant with Chili Tomato Jam
This recipe is great if you have some leftover Chia White Loaf slices! Two slices of our Chia White loaf provides 100% of the daily recommended intake for woman and 94% of the daily recommended intake for men.
Preparation time: 15 - 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 - 40 minutes
4 slices of COBS Bread Chia Whole Wheat or Chia White Loaf
½ onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 red chili, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Leave out unused COBS Bread Chia Whole Wheat or Chia White bread overnight (covered) until dried. Pulse the bread in a food processor to make breadcrumbs.
- Dip the eggplant slices in egg and then breadcrumbs and bake them at 180C for about 20-30 minutes until crispy on the outside and cooked through.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger over low-medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chili and sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 20-30 minutes, long enough to get thicky.
- Place cooked eggplant on the bread and add a spoonful of the chili jam to serve!
Recipe inspired by Veggie Mama
This is the perfect way to transform leftover Chia Whole Wheat bread in a hearty, wholesome, delicious meal. In addition to Omega-3 ALA benefits, our Chia Whole Wheat bread has twice the fibre as our Chia White!
2 cups COBS Bread Chia Whole Wheat or Chia White loaf, crusts removed and torn into rough 5cm pieces
½ cup olive oil plus 2 Tbsp for initial cooking
Salt and pepper to season
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup fresh parsley roughly chopped
2 x 400g tin of tomatoes
1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 Cup parmesan, grated, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Cook the onion, garlic and celery with a pinch of salt and stir until soft. Add the tomatoes and parsley and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the kale and stock and stir to combine. Cover the pot and cook over low heat until greens are wilted. Bring it to a simmer, then add the bread and 1/2 cup of olive oil, and stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Cook for half an hour. Keep checking to see the stock isn’t running low and add water if necessary.
- To serve, top with freshly grated parmesan and ground pepper.
These recipes are an easy, and tasty, way to introduce our bread with benefits into your entertaining or dinner routine. Find more information on the health benefits of our Sunflower Flax Sourdough or or our Chia Whole Wheat Loaves.
Have you already tried our new breads? Enter your #HealthyLoafstyle pictures for the chance to win a fitness prize package including a Jawbone UP2, fitness accessories and merchandise from COBS Bread and The Chia Company! Enter Now!