We’re excited to work with Chef Connie DeSousa and Chef John Jackson of charbar in Calgary, AB who created this delicious beef sandwich recipe!
“Butcher cuts are the best cuts of steak. Ask your butcher and explore the different secret cuts of beef. This recipe is the home version of our butcher cut at our restaurant, charbar, inspired by our travels in Argentina. Now everyone can enjoy it anytime of the year. But I think you all agree a Canada Day BBQ is best!”
– Chef Connie DeSousa and Chef John Jackson
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup Water
- 4 ea. Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp. Kocher Salt
- 1 tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper, Ground
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 2 cups Baby Kale, Loosely packed
- 1 tsp. Oregano Leaves
- 3 ea Rosemary Sprigs (6inch each)
- 2 cups Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 cup Kale Chimichurri
- 4 ea COBS Brioche Hot Dog Bun
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 600g Flat iron steak (ask your butcher to clean all connective tissue so it is easy to portion into 4 pieces)
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper cracked
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup fruit wood chips (can be purchase at any BBQ supply store)
- Add all ingredients except olive oil to blender and pulse. Slowly add olive oil pouring in a stream, a little at a time until mixture is thick and smooth. About 5 minutes preparation.
- Reserve 1 cup of this recipe for the marinated tomatoes and refrigerate remaining Chimichurri for accompanying future salads or meat dishes.
- Wash tomatoes
- Slice tomatoes in half and add to small mixing bowl
- Toss tomatoes in 1 cup of Kale Chimichurri
- Reserve for topping on sandwich after steak is placed
- Set your BBQ to Medium High heat.
- Place steak on large platter and season with oil, salt and pepper.
- Soak wood chips for at least 1 hour in water and then place in foil leaving a 3-inch opening at the top.
- When grill is ready, add the chips in the foil and heat until it really starts to smoke.
- Grill mark steak on both sides and then move to rack above and turn grill to low.
- Smoke with lid closed for 10 to 15 minutes, keeping lid closed until steak is at desired doneness.
- Rest steak for 10 minutes and slice thinly on bias against the grain of the meat.
- Place slices evenly on toasted opened COBS Brioche Hot Dog Bun.
Best for last:
- Brush butter evenly on open COBS Brioche Hot Dog Buns.
- Place buns on grill for 30 seconds to lightly toast.
Optional Sidebar: The Flat Iron is a secret butcher cut located on the shoulder blade. When connective tissue is removed this is a tender and delicious steak great for grilling or frying. Impress your local butcher and ask them for some flat iron steaks.