It’s a pretty well-known fact that all burgers are not created equal – and that it’s a matter of taste. For some, the ultimate burger has the patty as the star of the show, for others it’s the toppings, and for others it’s all about the bun. For us, it’s everything! And our Focaccia Burger with Hummus and Cucumber is an elevated twist on a classic that really delivers across all categories.
Let’s begin with the patty – simple yet delicious. A combination of ground lean beef (or, if you want a real twist – ground lamb), grainy mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cooked to perfection on a skillet – or on the BBQ.
And the toppings, oh the toppings! Rich, creamy, crowd-pleasing hummus, slices of crisp cucumber, a sprinkling of vibrant paprika, thin slivers of red onion, a smear of yogurt and topped with a pair of mint leaves.
This is a burger has a number of ingredients but is surprisingly simple to pull together and is guaranteed to make heads turn at your next summer party.
- 1 COBS Focaccia
- 400g ground lamb or lean ground beef
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp hummus
- 18 thin slices cucumber
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 small mint leaves
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (2%)
- Cracked black pepper and olive oil to garnish
- In bowl, combine lamb (or beef), mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Roll into 4 equal balls, press down to shape into sliders.
- In large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook sliders, turning once, until a thermometer inserted in the centre reaches 160°F. Remove to paper towel-lined plate and keep warm.
- Slice COBS Focaccia into 4 pieces. Keeping knife parallel to your working surface, carefully slice each piece through the centre to halve. Spread hummus onto each Focaccia bun half, top with 3 slices of cucumber, a little paprika, a lamb slider, a few slices of red onion and 2 mint leaves.
- Spread yogurt onto each half. Sprinkle with a little black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
Makes 4 servings.