Stacked with a medley of flavourful and charred vegetables then topped with savoury, caramelized onions and goat cheese; this vegetarian sandwich is dressed to impress. To complete the look, wrap in one of summer 2021’s must haves: a COBS Bread Herb & Garlic Gourmet Hamburger Bun.
Chef Tip: Salt the eggplant, press it between kitchen towels and weigh it down to remove bitterness.
- 2 medium Yellow Onions
- 2 tsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt, to taste
- ½ tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 Red Peppers
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- 8 tbsp Ontario Goat Cheese
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter, for toasting buns
- 4 COBS Bread Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns
For the Caramelized Onions:
- Slice onions in half, lengthwise and peel the outer skin and discard.
- Lay the onions flat and slice it into thin strips.
- In a frying pan on low medium heat, melt butter and add onions, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook for 20-25 minutes stirring frequently.
- Set aside when the onion has changed colour and is completely brown.
For Grilled Vegetables:
- Preheat BBQ to medium-high heat.
- De-seed red peppers and slice into 1” strips.
- Slice eggplant crosswise into ¾” discs.
- In a large bowl, combine red pepper, eggplant, dried thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and drizzle with grapeseed oil.
- Place red peppers on the grill. Flip and cook until the red pepper is lightly charred.
- Place eggplant on the grill and cook for 6 – 7 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Once cooked, remove vegetables and place in a dish.
- Lightly toast buttered COBS Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns.
- Place caramelized onions on the bottom bun followed by grilled vegetables.
- Add crumbled goat cheese and cover with top bun.
- Serve and enjoy.