Blackened chicken is a Creole classic based on a simple blackened seasoning mix made from herbs you already have in your spice rack. This lightly-spiced, low FODMAP recipe is just as good for lunch as it is for dinner. Get the recipe, and kick that chicken up a notch!
In this recipe: LowFOD™ Loaf
- 2 slices COBS LowFOD™ Loaf
- 5 1/2 tsp blackening spice (2 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp thyme, 1tsp sage, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp salt)
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2-3 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 1-2 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup bean sprouts
- In a mixing bowl, add the ingredients for the blackening spice and mix together. Add the chicken and coat all the sides.
- In a medium-sized pan, add the cooking oil and set to medium/high. In approx. 1 minute when the oil is hot, carefully place the coated chicken breast in the pan. Cook each side for 3 – 5 minutes. Set the burner to low/medium and cook for another 5 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F/75°C. Set aside and let cool for 3 – 4 minutes, then slice.
- Toast 2 slices of COBS LowFODTM Bread.
- Add ½ tbsp of Dijon mustard to each side. Add the green leaf lettuce, Swiss cheese, tomato, chicken, and bean sprouts to one slice of bread.
- Top with other slice of bread. Serve immediately.