Vegetarian food doesn’t have to be boring or flavourless. In fact, these Mediterranean Beet Burgers With Feta and Black Garlic are super flavourful. Pair them with luscious and fresh Gourmet Hamburger Buns from COBS Bread, and you have a burger match made in heaven. The outside of these burgers gets a little crispy and they have an earthy finish thanks to the beet. Also, hope you like the colour magenta, ‘cause these babies are PINK! If you’re not a fan of bean-based vegetarian patties, you will love the texture of these vegetarian burgers.
- 6 COBS Bread Gourmet Hamburger Buns
- 4 to 5 beets, finely shredded (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 small onion, finely shredded
- 1½ cups of seasoned panko crumbs
- 1 cup of feta cheese, crumbled finely
- 2 cloves black garlic
- 2 tbsp. greek style vinaigrette dressing
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano, minced
- High temperature oil like peanut, coconut, or avocado
- Lettuce, extra feta, and condiments for topping
1. Wash, and peel the beets. Using a food processor with the fine shredding blade attached or a box grater, shred the onion and beets together.
2. Place the beet and onion into a large mixing bowl, trying to leave any liquid behind. Add the panko, feta, black garlic, dressing, eggs, and oregano. Using your hands, mix well. Black garlic is a little sticky so it is hard to slice or break up, you will have to press it through your fingers into the mixture like you would butter into biscuit dough. Once mixed, set the vegetable mixture in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. This allows the panko to soak up the liquid which will hold the burgers together better.
3. Preheat the grill to medium-high, around 450°F. You can use the Napoleon Cast Iron Plancha, or grill directly on the cooking grids.
4. Using the Napoleon Burger Press, form the patties.
5. When the grill (and/or the plancha) is up to temperature, oil the burgers on one side, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes over direct heat. If using the plancha, oil the plancha instead of the burgers.
6. Serve these burgers hot on a delicious bun Gourmet Hamburger Bun from COBS Bread. Top with your favourite condiments like this Avocado Ranch Dressing.
Napoleon Grills PRO Tip: Save the liquid from the beets (before adding the onion) for a natural and safe food colouring, perfect for icing, and cake!
Visit Napoleon Grills for step-by-step picture instructions, grilling tips and more recipes!