This recipe was created by Registered Dietitian and food blogger, and founder of Abbey’s Kitchen, Abbey Sharp. She has a BASc. in Nutrition and Food, completed her Dietitians of Canada accreditation, and has had substantial culinary training. With these delicious recipes and the new COBS LowFOD™ products, you can fall in love with bread again. Enjoy!
Entertaining doesn’t have to be stressful! This PB&J Baked French Toast made with our LowFOD™ loaf can be assembled the night before and simply needs to be popped into the oven before guests arrive for brunch. Its familiar flavours are kid-approved, but its elegant presentation is perfect for any special occasion.
In this recipe: LowFOD™ Loaf
- 1 full COBS LowFOD™ Loaf, cut into cubes
- 7 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup chopped natural peanuts
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter, plus more for drizzling if desired
- 3 cups frozen strawberries or raspberries
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- In a 9” square baking dish, mix together the eggs, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and maple syrup. Add the chopped COBS LowFOD™ Loaf and allow to sit in the fridge overnight.
- Meanwhile, heat the frozen berries in a small saucepot along with the lemon and maple. Mash the berries until jammy, then take off the heat. Add the chia seeds and allow to sit for 1 hour or more in the fridge to thicken.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350°
- Mix some peanuts into the bread and add about 1/3 cup of the chia jam and peanut butter in dollops, pushing it down into the bread casserole.
- Mix together the topping ingredients of melted butter, maple syrup and brown sugar and drizzle on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with additional chia jam and peanut butter drizzle.