It’s entertaining made easy with this Tomato and Sausage Focaccia Bake from foodie Amelia Does Dinner! Made with our authentic Italian Focaccia as the base, swap ingredients as you please for a crowd-pleasing recipe every time.
- 1 Focaccia, either Italian Herb or Rosemary & Sea Salt (cut into cubes)
- 3-4 fresh sausages
- 2 med-large tomatoes (roughly chopped into chunks)
- 10-12 baby tomatoes (cut in half)
- 340 g mozzarella cheese (cut into large chunks)
- 15-20 basil leaves (roughly chopped)
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano (roughly chopped)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 small jalapeño cut into slices (optional)
1. Preheat an oven to 450°F.
2. Reserve 1 1/2 tbsp. basil and oregano for garnish. Place the remaining herbs into a large bowl, add the chopped tomatoes, 1tbsp. oil, salt, black pepper and the cubed Focaccia. Gently Toss.
3. Add 1 tbsp. oil into a skillet. On med-high heat sear the sausages on all sides. Remove, slice, and add to the bread mixture.
4. Add the sliced jalapeño to the mixture (optional)
5. Add the butter, cheese and gently toss.
6. Lightly coat an ovenproof baking dish with 1/2tbsp. olive oil.
7. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish, making sure to push down as you fill. The mixture should be tightly packed.
8. Bake for approx 25-30 mins. or until the top gets slightly brown.
9. Garnish with the reserved herbs and Enjoy.
Notes: I used a casserole dish. If you’re using a shallow but large dish reduce the cooking time by several mins. or until the bread turns light brown and the cheese gets bubbly.
*A day or older bread absorbs the liquids better and holds its shape during baking.
*For a Greek inspired dish add black olives for a fruity, salty taste, and substitute feta for mozzarella cheese.
Check out more recipes from Amelia Does Dinner!