Inspired by Toronto’s love for our peameal bacon sandwiches! This recipe was created by Chef Matt Dean Pettit.
“A great take on a Canadian classic! I use the buns here as the hero as I build the sandwich stack with a bottom bun layer, slaw, thick cut peameal bacon, then another bottom bun piece, and repeat the steps. Top with a fried egg and close with a top portion of bun! Squeeze and enjoy the runny eggy, bacon goodness!
Pro tip: you will have 4 top buns left over which you can toast up, drizzle with olive oil, and use for delicious croutons!”
– Chef Matt Dean Pettit
- 16 x COBS Bread Gourmet Hamburger Buns
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 peameal bacon roast (2.5-3 lbs)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups purple or Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed juice
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 4 eggs, cooked over easy
- Preheat the BBQ to 375º F (190º C)
- In a large BBQ safe baking dish, place the peameal roast in it, skin side up. Using a knife score the skin diagonally creating cross marks about 1/2 inch deep.
- Pour maple syrup all over making sure to get into each cut.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the BBQ and let rest before slicing into 1/2 inch thick loins.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded carrot, cabbage, mayo, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt and pepper, mix well. Set aside.
- Cook 4 eggs over easy, keep warm. Set aside.
- To build, butter each bun top and bottom. Take the bottom bun, top with slaw, add 1 piece of thick cut peameal. Repeat the steps again and finally top with fried egg and top portion bun.
- Squeeze, eat & enjoy! MDP!