In this recipe: Higher Fibre Loaf
- 4 slices Cobs Bread Higher Fibre Loaf (sliced thick)
- 4 slices Ham
- 4 tbsp shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to Broil (High)
- In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium heat, then add flour. Mix every 30 secs until flour and butter mixture starts to lightly brown.
- Add milk to the saucepan & whisk it all together. Continue whisking the mix every 1 minute. Turn down heat to medium-low once the milk starts to simmer. Continue simmering and whisking every 30 seconds until Béchamel Sauce is thick. Add a pinch of salt & nutmeg, whisking to combine. Take off heat and set aside.
- Lightly toast all 4 Higher Fibre Loaf slices.
- Place all toasted slices on a parchment-lined oven tray.
- Top each slice of toast with 1 slice of ham, 2 tbsp of Béchamel Sauce (spread evenly). Then top with 1 tbsp of grated cheese.
- Place the tray on the top oven rack and broil for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and starts to brown.
- Enjoy as individual toasts, or combine two slices to make a sandwich.