Sweet Potato, Blue Cheese and Salami Open-Faced Sandwich
It’s time to step up your open-faced sandwich game with a sophisticated combination of distinct and delicious flavours. This grown-up, gourmet spin pairs the sumptuous, hearty sweet potato with the creamy intensity of blue cheese and finishes with a salted salami.
Nestled on a slice of our hearty and delicious Cape Seed Loaf – packed with six grams of plant-based protein per slice, baked with whole grain whole wheat and loaded with nine grains and seeds like flax, sunflower, and poppy seeds makes each bite nutty and flavourful – making it the perfect partner for this crave-worthy creation.
So, whether you are looking to shake up your lunch time routine or need an easy weeknight supper for one or two, this open-faced gem can be pulled together in a snap and is guaranteed to thrill your taste buds.
Our top tips to ensure maxi-yum enjoyment:
- Choose your (Blue) Cheese – Blue cheese flavours can range from mild and mellow to mighty and marvelous. If you’re timid to dive in, check out these 3 blue cheeses for people who think they hate blue cheese or use this cheat sheet to see the options from subtle to stinky. There are so many options but we know you can find the blue that’s right for you!
- Select your Salami – You can choose between the tangy flavour of the popular Genoa salami made with pork, wine, garlic, salt or pepper or the hard salami, like German or Soppressata, which are typically made with beef and have a drier, smokier flavour profile. For this recipe, we opted for the popular Genoa but you can find either salami styles at most deli counters.
Find your local COBS Bread bakery to pick your perfect healthy loaf, or visit our meal ideas for more inspiring meals with fresh bread.
- 1 slice COBS Cape Seed Loaf, toasted
- ¼ cup peeled and cubed sweet potato
- ½ tsp olive oil
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tsp butter, softened
- 4 thin slices salami
- 2 Tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- In a small bowl, combine sweet potato, olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange, in a single layer, onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in 400°F oven until lightly golden and softened, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Spread butter onto one side of bread. Top with salami, sweet potato and blue cheese.