The Rusty Burger
In this recipe: Gourmet Hamburger Buns
We named it this ‘cause Rusty is letting us in on his secret to the best burger patty on the best bun: COBS Gourmet Hamburger Bun. We can’t even write out the secret, so make sure to watch before your weekend grocery haul.
- 4 COBS Gourmet Hamburger Buns
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp course ground pepper
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 slices cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
Sweet Garlic Mayonnaise
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1½ tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder and sugar in a bowl for your seasoning.
- Assemble the patties by mixing ground beef, mayo, panko breadcrumbs, and melted butter together. Form 4 patties by measuring them to be slightly larger than the width of the bun. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. BBQ Tip: Do not squish the meat together with pressure.
- Add seasoning on top of the patties 15 minutes before they go on the grill. The seasoning only goes on the outside of the patties, and you can season to taste. No need to use it all.
- Make sweet garlic mayonnaise by mixing all ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to assemble burgers.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Softly place the burgers on the grill and cook on both sides for 5 minutes each, or until they reach 160F. BBQ Tip: Resist the urge to press down on the burgers once they hit the grill; this will make them harder to flip, and loose its juiciness.
- Once the burgers are almost done, place both types of cheese on top, crossed length-wise. When cheese is melted, let the patties rest for 5-10 minutes without heat.
Panko breadcrumbs are typically made from white bread, crusts removed. For about 1 cup of breadcrumbs, take 2-4 slices of a dry bread and toast it to ensure it is dry. Remove crusts and tear into smaller pieces and place in a food processor. Pulse until fine and flaky. Breadcrumbs will freeze well so make a larger batch and freeze to add to other meals!