Ketchup is nice and all, but nothing can beat a homemade tomato relish recipe! This is super easy and only requires around 10 minutes of prep work before you have a delicious hot dog topping like no other. After one taste of the tomato relish, you’ll be adding it on your hot dogs by the cupful. Pair it with our Gourmet Hot Dog Buns for a BBQ experience that can’t be beat.
- 1lb ripe Plum Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 Garlic Clove, grated
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Dice tomato and red onion, adding them to a medium-size mixing bowl. Toss both with olive oil and season with garlic, salt & pepper.
- Add tomatoes and onions to a frying pan over medium heat. Stir constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat & add back to the same bowl.
- Stir in the cumin and oregano then let this cool down to room temperature. If adding red pepper flakes, add these too.
- Place half of the tomato mixture into a food processor or blender with sugar, then add the blended tomatoes back to the bowl.
- Stir in the parsley & vinegar.