Are you looking to serve your backyard guests a flavour combo that will blow their minds?! Well, then this sandwich is for you. The saltiness of the grilled halloumi and sweetness of the charred watermelon, all piled into a COBS Bread Gourmet Hamburger Bun brushed with homemade basil pesto, is the refreshing, on-trend, summer sandwich you never knew you needed.
Chef Tip: Pat the watermelon dry prior to oiling for better grilling results.
- 1 ½ cup Basil Leaves, packed
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Pine Nuts
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt, to taste
- ½ tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 x COBS Bread Gourmet Hamburger Buns
- 8 oz Halloumi Cheese, sliced into ½ slices
- 4x ½” Watermelon, slices
- 4 tsp Grapeseed Oil
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp Unsalted Butter, for toasting bun
For the Basil Pesto:
- Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor or blender and pulse until ingredients are incorporated.
- Then slowly drizzle in olive oil to emulsify. Beware not to blend too long to avoid heating the pesto.
For the Grilled Halloumi and Watermelon Sandwich:
- Preheat BBQ to high heat.
- Brush halloumi and watermelon with grapeseed oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Lightly butter and carefully toast COBS Gourmet Hamburger Buns on the BBQ until golden brown.
- Brush both sides of buns with pesto.
- On the bottom bun, place halloumi slices and top with watermelon slices, then place top bun. Serve warm.