Kick off your morning with an open-faced sandwich – topped with a poached egg and avocado, it’s packed with protein and flavour!
- 1-2 Slices Sunflower Flax Sourdough
- ⅓ Avocado
- ½ Tomato
- 1 Poached Egg
- Handful of Baby Arugula, Microgreens or Chives
- Hot Sauce or Chili Flakes
- Garlic and Black Pepper (to taste)
- Lemon Juice
In a small bowl, slice or mash the avocado and flavour with garlic and/or fresh cracked black pepper. Drizzle with lemon juice. Layer the avocado and tomato on the sandwich and top with a poached egg. Finish with arugula, microgreens or chives, hot sauce and black pepper.
- What makes a healthy breakfast? Try to have some good carbohydrates, lean protein, fibre, and make it colorful! This means including some grains (such as this sunflower flax loaf) to keep you fuelled throughout the day, some protein and fibre to keep you full until your next meal, and some colorful fruits or vegetables to ensure you are getting a variety of nutrients.
- Do you get hungry mid-morning? You might need to add some fibre and protein to your breakfast. You can find fibre in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. You can find protein in meat products, fish, dairy products, nuts, seeds, and more!
- Don’t have time in the morning? Save time by substituting guacamole for the avocado and salsa for the tomato, and soft-boil some eggs the night before so you can substitute the poached egg for a boiled one!