Coconut Crumb Prawns
Makes 20 pieces
These sweet and crispy cocnut crumbed prawns are perfect for entertaining as well as using up leftover bread.
3 Cups Breadcrumbs made from 1/2 an Authentic Sourdough Cob
1/3 Cup Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Pepper
1 Cup shredded Coconut
3 Large Eggs, Beaten
20 Medium-Sized Raw Prawns, peeled and deveined with tails attached
Vegetable oil for frying
1 Tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
1/2 Cup Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping
- Make breadcrumbs by tearing bread slices into small pieces. Pulse in a food processor until fine crumbs form. For best results with this recipe, do not use crusts.
- Start with three bowls, in one bowl combine the flour, salt and pepper. In the second bowl the eggs, and in the third bowl combine the breadcrumbs with the coconut.
- Dip each prawn into the flour, then the eggs, then the crumb mix. Try and get a lot of the crumb mix on each prawn.
- Add enough oil to a large skillet pan to shallow fry. Use a medium heat, wait until the oil is hot, and then fry the prawns in small batches being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes to get a light golden colour. A deep fryer works very well for this if you have one.
- Place the prawns onto a plate lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil as you fry batches.
- Transfer to a plate when ready to serve. Sprinkle with chopped parsley for a bright pop of colour. Serve with sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
Find your local bakery to pick up an Authentic Sourdough Cob today!