Spice up your weekday lunches with our tangy recipe for a Grilled Lemon Chicken Sandwich. Take your chicken thighs up a notch with a zesty lemon pepper kick! Then smother that juicy chicken with a tangy purple slaw, nestled together in a COBS Bread Herb & Garlic Gourmet Hamburger Bun. Once your hands get on this lemon pepper chicken recipe sandwich, it won’t last long.
Chef Tip: Marinate the chicken thighs in the fridge the night before for the best results.
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Sandwich Recipe FAQ
Do you put lemon on chicken before or after cooking?
You can easily put your lemon on chicken before and after cooking. Lemon can be used to create a zesty marinade to coat your chicken with before cooking. However, you can also season your cooked chicken with a splash of fresh lemon juice.
How do you tenderize chicken?
To tenderize chicken, try marinating with acidic ingredients such as lemon juice, yogurt, or buttermilk brining in a saltwater solution, or gently pounding. Another option is velveting or using fruits with natural enzymes like pineapples, mangoes, or bananas. Enjoy tender and flavorful chicken in your dishes.
How long does it take to marinate chicken?
Marinating chicken for at least 30 minutes is recommended, but longer times or overnight in the refrigerator can enhance flavor. Quick marinating for 15 to 30 minutes is an option when pressed for time.
Lemon Pepper Chicken
- 4 x 3 oz Chicken Thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 3 tsp freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ Purple Cabbage, shredded
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Whole Grain Dijon
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¾ tsp Kosher Salt, to taste
- ½ tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 x COBS Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns
- 2 tbsp unsalted Butter
- 8 strips Bacon
For the Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs:
- In a mixing bowl combine lemon juice, lemon zest, freshly cracked black pepper, honey, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Add chicken thighs to the marinade and coat well. Cover with saran wrap and marinate for up to one hour outside of the fridge.
- Preheat BBQ to medium heat. Oil the part of the grill where the chicken will be placed.
- Using tongs, pick up the chicken thighs individually and allow the residual marinade to drip off before placing them on the grill.
- Grill for approximately 25-30 minutes, flipping once or as necessary to ensure golden brown colour on both sides.
- Remove from the grill when an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
For the Purple Coleslaw:
- In another mixing bowl, combine purple coleslaw, mayonnaise, Dijon, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well and set aside.
For the Sandwich:
- In a frying pan, lay down bacon and turn heat up to medium. This will slowly render the fat out of the bacon.
- Once golden brown on one side, flip and sear until desired doneness, remove to a dish lined with paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Lightly butter and toast COBS Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns while the chicken is resting.
- Place bacon on the bottom bun followed by chicken thigh and coleslaw.
- Top with bun and serve.