Prepare to be blown away by our irresistible veggie burger recipe that will leave you wanting more. Stacked with a medley of flavourful and charred vegetables peppers and eggplant, then topped with savoury, caramelized onions and goat cheese; this vegetable burger is dressed to impress a crowd. To complete the look, wrap in one of summer must haves: a COBS Bread Herb & Garlic Gourmet Hamburger Bun.
Chef Tip: Salt the eggplant, press it between kitchen towels and weigh it down to remove bitterness.
Grilled Veggie Burger Recipe FAQ
Do veggie burgers taste like real meat?
Some veggie burgers are made to replicate the flavor and texture of real meat. However, a lot of veggie burgers embrace their plant-based goodness, and prefer to capture the flavors and texture of delicious veggies like eggplant or mushroom.
What is veggie burger meat made of?
Veggie burger meat is made from a variety of plant-based ingredients including legumes, grains, vegetables, mushrooms, and various seasonings and spices. These ingredients are combined to create a patty that mimics the texture and flavour of meat providing a satisfying vegan alternative.
What is typically in a veggie burger?
Veggie burgers can include herbs, spices, and seasonings for flavour. Additional ingredients like seeds or grated vegetables may be added for nutrition and texture.
- 2 medium Yellow Onions
- 2 tsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt, to taste
- ½ tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 Red Peppers
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- 8 tbsp Ontario Goat Cheese
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter, for toasting buns
- 4 COBS Bread Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns
For the Caramelized Onions:
- Slice onions in half, lengthwise and peel the outer skin and discard.
- Lay the onions flat and slice it into thin strips.
- In a frying pan on low medium heat, melt butter and add onions, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook for 20-25 minutes stirring frequently.
- Set aside when the onion has changed colour and is completely brown.
For Grilled Vegetables:
- Preheat BBQ to medium-high heat.
- De-seed red peppers and slice into 1” strips.
- Slice eggplant crosswise into ¾” discs.
- In a large bowl, combine red pepper, eggplant, dried thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and drizzle with grapeseed oil.
- Place red peppers on the grill. Flip and cook until the red pepper is lightly charred.
- Place eggplant on the grill and cook for 6 – 7 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Once cooked, remove vegetables and place in a dish.
- Lightly toast buttered COBS Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns.
- Place caramelized onions on the bottom bun followed by grilled vegetables.
- Add crumbled goat cheese and cover with top bun.
- Serve and enjoy.